Indeed. So at a given point, it's the oneway on the way that decides if you
can go in, not the route relation. This means oneway tag can be used on the
relation. Of course, for vehicles it would be wise to add only ways that
are legally allowed in the same direction as the route is intended.

Vr gr Peter Elderson