sent from a phone

On 4. May 2019, at 12:47, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

On 03.05.19 18:20, Paul Allen wrote:

Or this https://goo.gl/maps/TxVMau8EBrLUAaeU6

[...]

You will note that there are narrow, normal-size steps within big

steps.  It's complicated.

Yeah, there's absolutely no chance to make that guess from just a
polygon OR the relation originally proposed in this thread. :)

Can it cope with cases like these?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--QaPv-T1b2Q/TWEia7iPWYI/AAAAAAAAEwQ/dtB1TfiqeA0/s1600/Dresden_Treppe_BrTerrasse_1905.jpg

Only if we split it into a bottom and top part:
http://tobias-knerr.de/upload/Step%20Polygon%203D%20Examples/br%C3%BChl.png

As splitting is likely necessary to properly model the landing in the
first place, you may or may not consider that acceptable.

splitting is fine and will always be needed for landings between the
flights. The original area relation would be capable of having a single
object representing the whole structure: you would put lower, upper, lower
upper in order and the landings are defined between the uppers and the
following lowers, but if we can avoid the relation all together and get
defined results with just areas and linear ways, even better.

This one shows a common problem, occurring when the surroundings are not

completely leveled (steps that do not run across the whole width):

http://www.bilderbuch-koeln.de/bilder/k%C3%B6ln_altstadt_nord_freitreppe_am_dom_treppe_domplatte_bahnhofsvorplatz_753a433380_978x1304xin.jpeg
[...]

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3902/14798079901_ff9a5b72c8_b.jpg

The second example will work fine, the first one won't. This, too, is a
limitation shared by the relation originally proposed in this thread, by
the way.

If you can get the second one working I don’t understand why the first one
is different (presuming it is split). For the second one to work there must
also be polygonal ramps (basically the same as steps, just without the
steps) at the border.I just added them:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/688139506
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/688139507

If you like, could you test if it really works?

Thank you,
Martin