On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 01:08, Johnparis <ok...@johnfreed.com> wrote:

> This discussion should properly have begun on one of the specialized transit
> discussion lists, where people with experience can offer insight, rather than
> a general tagging discussion. Tagging a bus route is not the same as tagging
> a hiking route, nor a mountain range, nor a stand of trees.

At least in Switzerland, where whe have countless of hiking routes [1]
(every yellow, red or blue line on the map belongs to a hiking route),
mapping them is very similar to mapping a bus route. There's the same
problem with multiple routes using the same road or path. [2] (I split
the routes at every possible intermediate locations, otherwise there
were a lot more route relations sharing the same way.)

[1]:
https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visibility=false,false,false,true&layers_timestamp=18641231,,,
[2]: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#routelist?ids=8325230,8332578,8335238

> I go by the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." What is "broken" by the
> existing setup?

It is broken, because it's not clear anymore what are real route names
(e.g. "Jubilee Line" or "Via Alpina") and what are descriptions.

Regards

Markus