On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 09:26:02AM +0200, Markus wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 00:19, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > OK, so I tested and I renamed one of the many bus routes I'm maintaining,
> > moved from name to description. And you know what: both JOSM and the web
> > interface now show the ref instead of the description, so until that gets
> > resolved there is not very much chance people will want to move from the
> > name tag to the description tag.
>
> I know, this is why i misued the name tag, too. I mentioned that in my
> previous emails. [1][2]
>
> [1]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-May/045180.html
> [2]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-May/045186.html
>
> I'll file enhancement requests to the editors as soon as we find a
> consensus. Currently, it seems that for hiking routes, using the
> description tag instead of the name tag for route descriptions is
> undispued, but, oddly, for public transportation routes it is not.

In my experience, the course of the route is the most used descriptive
name fo nameless routes.

So, how about adding a new tag "itinerary"? This would contain a simple
longer ones (two or three vias). As a data consumer, the advantage
is that it would have a semi-fixed format that is easily parsable
(for example: not enough display space? Drop the vias.)

I believe that tag would work for PT routes as well, although it seems
they would need a "headsign" tag in addition.

NB: you can already change what tag is displayed as name for relations
in JOSM. Go to "Advanced settings" and search for the setting
"relation.nameOrder". There you can state a list of tags that JOSM
should try for the display name. I've recently added 'symbol' there and
now I can finally get rid of all the "Gelber Strich" hiking route names
in the area.

Sarah