> What sort of feature gets tagged crossing=no? Does one draw a line or
node to represent the footway that isn't there?

Personally, I've tagged crossing=no on ways either when it's illegal
(there's a sign saying no crossing) or when it appears to be very dangerous
and it's already been tagged with footway=crossing. Example: "this is an
unmarked crossing on a highway and there's an alternative marked crossing 5
meters to the East".

In terms of jurisdictions, in my neck of the woods, all corners are,
legally, crossings. So, there are many places to create crossing=unmarked.