Mateusz Konieczny has marked barrier=embankment as deprecated, and I'm
adding the  "deprecated features" template to the wiki page (which I
just made last month, for documentation). Most features were imported
before 2011.

In contrast, man_made=embankment is well-documented and established,
with increasing usage:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Embankment-man_made-vs-barrier.png
(Graph from http://taghistory.raifer.tech)

Please comment if you disagree with deprecating barrier=embankment or
have any concerns