On github, Christoph mentioned that some of these features tagged
barrier=embankment may be types of earthen fortifications, as found in
Europe, eg earthen ramparts, earthworks or earth banks.

> "Double/symmetric embankment not connected to some other primary feature like
> a road... something we in German call a 'Wall' "

It could be translated "rampart" - "a large wall built round a town,
castle, etc. to protect it"?
Or "earthwork": "a raised area of earth made, especially in the past,
for defence against enemy attack"

This is in use 200 times as barrier=earthworks
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=earthworks)

or historic=earthworks - 196 times
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/historic=earthworks)

or perhaps barrier=earth_bank - 184 times
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=earth_bank)

There are a few uses of barrier=rampart and military=rampart.

Perhaps someone could check on the German language mailing list or forum?