On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 7:58 PM Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> “how can a protected_AREA be anything but an area?”
>
> Right. Please don’t add area=yes to these features.

If you're saying that the alternative is for mappers to wait, possibly
years, for an approved osm2pgsql stylesheet+Lua change, and a full
database reload, before these features can be rendered, then that's
simply not going to work. Mappers *will* work around that sort of
restriction, and the goal here is to guide the community to the least
damaging work-around.

> This tag is only needed for features that can be either a linear feature OR
> an area, for example barrier=hedge.

And features that the osm2pgsql importer hasn't learnt are areas.

> (Mapping large protected areas mapped as closed ways to relations of
> type=boundary (or type=multipolygon) is also an effective way of specifying
> that they are areas, though again I would not recommend retagging existing
> features.)

Right. I've done a fair number of single-member route relations for
Waymarked Trails, and single-member multipolygons for these areas is
indeed a workable alternative. area=yes is considerably simpler,
though, and won't leave us with mystery multipolygons to confuse us
later.