Is it now unavoidable that the info box content on tag definition pages in the wiki comes from the database? Is there consensus that the higher complexity to edit it is less important than the features we gain from it

I don't think it's unavoidable - presumably you can just ignore the wikidata stuff and carry on as before?

For example, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:verge is an in-use tag that has not wikidata entry, does not need one and that page is useful despite that.

I'm concerned that some wikidata entries are just plain wrong - especially in places where OSM's use of a word doesn't match the normal English (any English - English, American, Hiberno-, etc.) usage of that word.  Examples include https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dcity (though there wikidata's English description at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q515 "large and permanent human settlement by size of its inhabitants" adds extra comedy), https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwood and https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dforest which both link to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4421 .  In each of these cases all nuance of the usage of the OSM tag is lost.

Best Regards,

Andy