Sorting is not the same thing as connection checking.
RA does not sort anything. It is able to find for *route* relations the
minimum number of unconnected pieces that are required to cover the entire
route.
Sorting can only be defined on some special routes. Routes can be connected
in a single set of connected ways, but may not be sortable.
Lets take to simple examples of perfectly correct route relations that
cannot be sorted.
A) A star shaped arrangement of three ways.
B) A single way from A to B that is interrupted by a loop
All this assumes that all ways that are part of the route relation only
appear only once as a member in the relation. Obviously if you have a way
appear several times in a route yo can use this trick to be able to reach
every part of the route graph.