What is a sports hall?

Is it what we call a "gym" in America?

The dictionary definition I found just said it was "a building used
for sports", and the wiki page only says it's a building or part of a
building "used as a sports hall", which doesn't do anything to clarify
the situation.

I don't see how that is different than the definition of
sports_centre: "a distinct facility where sports take place within an
enclosed area" - which then specifically mentions "it can be a
building".

I'll admit that we don't use the term "sports centre" in the USA
either, but at least the wiki definition is clearly vague: it's any
enclosed area (including buildings) where sports take place.