On 07/09/2019 01:33, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
Re: > "My UK school had both a gym and a sports hall."

What was the difference between the two? Was the gym like a "fitness
centre" for weight training, perhaps? In US English we tend to use
"gym" for what seems to be a "sports hall" in some dialects, and also
for "weight lifting gyms" and "fitness centres" full of exercise
equipment.

The sports hall was a big echoy place with a concrete floor, on which lines were painted in different colours for different sports. You'd use the whole space for a game of five-a-side football (soccer) or basketball, or else there was room for three or four badminton courts to be set up next to each other. Table-tennis tables could also be wheeled out, I think.

The gym(nasium) was much smaller, shiny wooden floor, equipped with things like a vaulting horse, parallel bars, wall bars and hanging ropes for climbing, and there were things like medicine balls and bean bags for exercising, rubber mats to put down on the floor etc. Basically for gymnastics and general physical exercise, rather than sports as such. No exercise *machines* back then, but I see from the school's website that has changed a bit: https://0e58658be539ee7325a0-220f04f871df648cf4a4d93a111e3366.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/williamson/uploads/asset_image/2_477_e.jpg

--
Steve

---