10 Oct 2019, 08:38 by frede...@remote.org:
> The question is basically two-fold; one, what are the established
> standards and rules concerning this situation

Splitting road on physical separation
seems to be a standard.

And painted line is not considered
as physical separation.

Among obvious reasons is consistency,
not changing popular things without really good reason and
routing for emergency vehicles.
Main issues is handling crossing
with dual carriageway - even without
physical separation on crossing itself
ways typically continue split in two,
or start splitting before crossing.

(I can send images if that is unclear)

It is also disputed whatever splitting
road on small separations like
crossing with island is advisable.
> andtwo, in how far is it
> acceptable to deviate from these standards if a local mapper thinks it
> is a good idea.

It seems poor idea like retagging
highway=motorway into droga=autostrada
because local mappers dislike English.
> Personally I believe that "physical division => separate ways; no
> physical division => shared way" is the standard in OSM, or perhaps at
> least the "rule of thumb". But (since people in the German discussion
> have more or less claimed that the world is going to end if local
> mappers are allowed to treat this differently) I'd like to hear from
> mappers in other countries how rigidly this standard is applied.

During travel I made edits
removing invalid separation (only
painted line) that I spotted.

I never felt that I needed to consult local
community or that opening note would be preferable.

In Poland some people expressed that changing
road mapped as two ways into single one is waste of time,
but I don't remember anyone claiming that it is wrong to do this.
Though I remember cases of highly complex
junctions where it seemed to be necessary/advisable
to not follow this rule.

Theoretical example: equivalent of Magic Roundabout in Swindon,
marked solely by paint, without physical separation
would be place where violating this rule
would make sense.