On Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 04:43 Joseph Eisenberg, <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm skeptical about the need to tag this differently.
>
> If we do this, wouldn't we also need to tag differently a "T"
> intersection of a `highway=residential` into a `highway=trunk`?
>
> Doing this for every intersection between a path and road, or lower
> classification road with a high classification road, would be a large
> amount of extra work for mappers, so it should only be done if there
> is no other way to get this information.

In my opinion, there's only little use in splitting roads at
intersections only to indicate that a short part of a highway=* way is
part of the carriageway of another road.

However, this is a bit different with ending sidewalks or steps that
run parallel to the road: tagging the connection with the road
highway=footway + footway=sidewalk or highway=steps would pretend that
there were an abrupt change of the direction of the sidewalk or steps
by 90°, which is a bad representation of the actual geometry (example
[1]). Besides, continuing steps up to the highway=* way would distort
the steps, which is especially problematical with short steps and a
wide road. For example, continuing highway=steps of 4 steps with a
length of 35 cm each to the centre of the road that is 8.4 m away from
the last step would let you assume that one step is 2.45 m long
(example [2]).

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/86205950
[2]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/416303537

Thanks you all for your feedback so far!

Best regards

Markus