On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM Markus <selfishseaho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 at 01:44, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > When that is how the business name is shown, what is our policy for it?
>
> I thought we had a policy for it, but i can't fine one. It's probably
> rather an observation that names in all caps are mapped in title case
> except for acronyms. I think this makes sense because it doesn't give
> these names more importance than other names in title case. By the
> way, newspapers do the same.

did come to mind.

I would favor adding the name exactly as it appears in a sign, even
including punctuation marks if it's in their sign. For example AT&T. AT&T
at one time was an abbreviation for American Telephone & Telegraph but they
dropped the full name for AT&T sometime back. It technically isn't an
acronym anymore.  TCBY (The Countries Best Yogurt) is a yogurt shop that is
widely recognized in the US. If you wrote Tcyb, I doubt most people would
even recognize it. If written out, The Countries Best Yogurt, people
probably would recognize it either. See
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2304474733 for an example.

Newspapers have a different reason for changing case and even dropping
punctuation marks, readability. OSM is interested in capturing ground
truth.

The iD editor has a great feature that corrects the name to the official
name along with wikidata tags. The name just needs to be in their database.
It would be nice if JOSM had a similar feature.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_washington