Unpaved and paved values are valuable values.
It is not possible to tag the word with precision, all values are
imprecision of the real world.
Just some are more precise than others.

StreetComplete can have a quest for that, and there is a ticket about it
https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/279

Le jeu. 13 févr. 2020 à 05:45, Sebastian Martin Dicke via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> a écrit :

> That can be a problem. If I survey streets on ground it is problematic
> if it is tagged in such way. Then I struggle with a map app that show me
> the surface, but with no visible difference between a sett or similar
> surface or just surface=paved. Additionally I use StreetComple to find
> missing surfaces. Surfaces mapped in such way you use are not considered
> as a missing surface. When are are more than just a few mapper in the
> country, it is better to omit surfaces if you was not at the place to
> find the right value. Some other mapper will do it later. But it is more
> difficult to find places with need for a specific surface tag, if there
> are already „raw“ values. Mapping works as team work, everybody do a
> small part. You should just omit things if you can not be sure.
>
> Regards
>
> Sebastian
>
> On 12.02.20 13:29, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>
> The most I usually do without a survey is surface=paved or
> surface=unpaved, with exceptions when I can see clearly what it is from
> the satellite imagery (like surface=grass).

Florimond Berthoux