On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 12:40, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> but the building is also a thing, it has its own properties, e.g.
> start_date, wikipedia reference, architect, operator, name, height, etc

This is all true.  And in an ideal world we'd map the building and its
occupying
object as  two separate-but-coincident objects.  This isn't an ideal world.
:(

Problem 1.  A popular editor makes it VERY hard to deal with coincident
objects.  All it would take would be a modifier key (such as control) to
cycle
through all coincident objects sharing the node or way clicked on.  Instead
you get whichever object it decides to give you and can't get at the
other(s).
The only way I've found is to disconnect a node, drag that node so it is
no longer coincident with other objects, click on the now separated
objects until I find the one I want, modify it, move the node back to
where it was.

Maybe there's a simple, obvious way of doing it that I'm missing, but I
haven't found it.  For as long as that editor makes it painful to have
coincident objects then people will avoid using them unless forced
to for other reasons (there is no other way of mapping some aspect
of one of the objects that they consider a necessary feature).

Problem 2: Duplication of address info.  The building has an address
irrespective of the occupying object.  But it is convenient for
consumers querying the occupying object to get the address of
the occupying organization in a single step.  "Don't repeat yourself"
is a good maxim, but one we must flout with coincident objects.
Unless you want the pain of not putting an address on the building
if it is occupied, but transferring the address from the occupier to
the building prior to deleting the occupier when the building
becomes vacant.

Using a node for the occupying entity gets rid of problem 1 but
does not get rid of problem 2.  And introduces problem 3: some
types of entity render if they have an area and building=yes
but do not render (not even a label) if they are nodes.  Clubs and crafts
are two examples I can think of.  As for healthcare=alternative, if
the building has an addr;housename then that is used as the label
rather than the name=*.

Our tagging practices are heavily influenced by the limitations of
the tools we use...

--
Paul