May 8, 2020, 18:06 by kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com:

> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM Phake Nick <c933...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given the proportion of opposing comment being raised, I would say "more
>> than what have been discussed", as barely anyone raised the point during the
>> discussion. The only two remotely relevant mentions about it during the
>> discussion process was 1. one user who think there should be a new parents
>> tag that cover both regular taxi and motorcycle taxi, and 2. another who
>> incorrectly assuned "motorcycle taxi" is a combination of two different
>> features just because the term come with a space. That clearly indicate
>> discussion was not sufficient and that the proposal should restart the
>> discussion process.
>>

> Our 'yes/no' voting on proposals leads to a pathological phenomenon
> that I've seen happen several times.
>
> Someone wants to map a particular feature, and floats an idea for a
> tag 'A' on the list.
>
> Several other people counter-propose incompatible tags 'B', 'C', 'D' -
> each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
>
> None of these tags garners a clear majority of commenters.
>
> Either the proponent abandons the idea, or else falls back on 'any
> tags you like', or actually bites the bullet and makes a formal
> proposal, calling the vote.
>
> In the last case, which is already uncommon, the vote fails, because,
> if for instance, 'B' becomes the final proposal, all of the supporters
> of 'A', 'C', 'D' vote against the proposal.

In my case I proceed with vote only in case of a clear support for a proposal.
(man_made=bridge, man_made=carpet_hanger)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/man_made%3Dbridge
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/carpet_hanger

I made some proposals where discussion was very useful and helped to
improve page, but I decided to not risk a vote.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/street_vendor%3Dyes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/opening_hours:signed%3Dno

No vote at all and de facto tag is better outcome than a failed vote
if you want to tag something with an accepted tag.

Personally I am fine with this idea, I consider review, criticism and
discussion as
the useful part of a proposal process. And I give little weight to whatever
tag was approved by vote or not.

(that is also why people wanting to deprecate highway=bus_stop or promote
landcover=* tag family will not make a proposal with vote, because it is
very likely that it would be rejected)