Jun 9, 2020, 21:53 by bradha...@fastmail.com:

> It already says this:
>  "Some > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track>
>  are used for various leisure activities - hiking, cycling, or as    jeep/ATV
> trails.    "
>  on the track wiki.  > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack
>
>  I propose changing the path page from this:
>  "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), and    it
> is not legally signposted or otherwise only allowed for    pedestrians,
> cyclists or horseriders, it is often better tagged as a > highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack>>  or > highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => service
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>> .    "
>
>  to this:
>  "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), it    is
> often better tagged as a > highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack>>  or > highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => service
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>> .    "
>
>  > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath

Many highway=path are 2m+ and not used as access to fields or for forestry use.

And if something is used as access to fields or for forestry use and car-sized
vehicle
can fit there it already fulfills definition of a track.

>  To clarify, we could change the track page from this:
>  "This > tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag>>  represents roads for
>    mostly agricultural use, forest tracks etc.; often unpaved    (unsealed)
> but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are suitable    for > two> -track
> vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps."
>  to this:
>  "This > tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag>>  represents roads for
>    agricultural use, forest tracks, > recreation> , etc.; often    unpaved
> (unsealed) but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are    suitable for >
> two> -track vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps.    "

I am not convinced that starting to tag larger cycleways as highway=track would
be improvement.

I deeply dislike entire concept of highway=track (IMHO it is a big mistake
together with highway=path),
but this would make it even worse.