Two points to get this thread back on track:

1) The highway=track tag has always been wider than agriculture and
forestry. There is an often overlooked "etc." in the description on the
wiki, and it has been there from the very first version of 26 May 2008.
(see also Duck_tagging <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging>)

2) "In my rendering of hiking maps I currently have to look at 13 tags and
their values to make a decision ..."
"I think we need some more values for the highway tag..."
These two statements together (made in the same message in this thread)
highlight the basic problem of this and other discussions:
If we need to look at X tags and values now, adding new values only makes
the list longer - there's no way around this.