On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 00:35, Lisbeth Salander <lisbe...@gmx.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 12:52, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>
> <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> healthcare:speciality=podiatrist and they remove corns and verrucas. Your
> salons are removing unwanted stuff from the other end of the body. In fact,
> your salons are removing infectious parasites.  I think that qualifies them
> as clinics.
>
> The wiki also lists healthcare=podiatrist. (amenity=podiatrist has its
> own Item page at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Item:Q18252 but is
> probably deprecated.) I can't find a hard rule to decide between
> healthcare and healthcare:speciality; healthcare feels more to-the-point
> for me.

healthcare:speciality is a sub-tag of healthcare.  Healthcare itself is
generally with values like doctor, hospital, laboratory and clinic.  Some
values that are far more specific like speech_therapist seem to have
crept in that might be better as specialities.

I'd say the facilities offering headlice removal and nothing else are as
much
clinics as are podiatrists.  Others will disagree, some vehemently.

> healthcare:speciality=head_lice_removal certainly has a very slim chance
> of being rejected, so that's good to know.

I think it would be hard to find a valid objection to it.  But I expect
soimebody will
do so anyway.

> > Actually, that's a negative.  If it's a hairdresser offering louse
> removal as one of the services, wouldn't most people think of it as a
> hairdresser? And whichever way you answer that (it's a hairdresser or it's
> a louse remover) it's more code that has to be added to ensure correct
> handling of two top-level tags on a single object.  Having it as one of the
> "beauty" treatments offered by the hairdresser doesn't cause any extra
> problems. Admittedly, it's more complicated to query if you're in a strange
> place and suddenly in need of louse removal...
>
> You don't need specific code for this. Accidentally or not, icon renderers
> already decide between top-level tags in case of conflict (I think I
> remember Mapnik deciding amenity > shop when I really had no idea on how
> to tag a confectionery/café). If people think of them as hairdressers,
> you'd only need to ensure shop has a higher priority than healthcare...

That's one renderer at one point in time.  There are no guarantees Mapnik
will
not change.  There are no guarantees other renderers will do the same thing.

If you apply two top-level tags to the same object different renderers may
handle
it differently.  All renderers have to special-case such tagging, even if
it's only code
saying amenity > shop.

...and now you got me thinking about unintended consequences.

> I cross-checked the pages for both Key:healthcare and Key:shop.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare already lists some
> situation in which shops are linked to healthcare centres, and users are
> expected to map them exclusively as shops.

I don't think you can take specific examples and make that generalization.
In all the cases I can think of, that is the case, but there may be
exceptions.  However, I do think that a hairdresser offering head louse
removal is primarily a hairdresser, not a clinic.  But since I've never had
head lice and haven't had my hair cut in over 20 years, I may be missing
some nuances here.

> Seems like if someone still used both tags, the shop tag should have a
> higher priority. Is there any situation where both should be expected, yet
> healthcare should have higher priority than shop?
>
> Or is there another side I'm missing?

Yeah, we try to avoid putting two top-level tags on the same object because
of nasal demons:  http://catb.org/jargon/html/N/nasal-demons.html

--
Paul