On 2020-08-18 16:10, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 18. Aug 2020, at 05:34, Paul White <pjwhite1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to raise a concern about tagging house numbers on a building using
>> a hyphen to denote the address range (e.g 33-55 Main Street).

> It's their address, and I might also map the individual numbers and their
> positions additionally, so it might eventually become more clear to someone
> looking at the situation.
> Sometimes when the business uses 37/39 I will admittedly convert this to
> 37;39 for clarity.

There are two use cases here: one is "what is the address of this
building (or whatever)" and the other is the reverse situation: "where
can I find number XXX". As long as we have tagging that is potentially
ambiguous we won't be able to cover both.

In the US I know of cases where an apartment number can follow the
street address, i.e. 10-321 meaning Street Address 10, apartment 321. In
Europe I know of the suffix being used to indicate apartment number, or
floor number - e.g. 379-3 meaning Street Address 379, Floor/Flat 3.
Sometimes other characters are used for the floor/flat such as A/B/C or
I/II/III - in these cases it is unambiguous because it is non-numeric.

On the other hand using the "1-5" notation to indicate a range is pretty
well understood in the UK at least. What it is missing is the
"interpolation" value (even, odd, all).

So let us sort this mess out by defining:
1) that a hyphen indicates a range
2) sub-addresses like a floor or apartment number must not use the
hyphen notation, but must be given in addr:unit
3) an address using the range syntax should indicate the interpolation
scheme by means of addr:interpolation=*