On 10/10/2020 00:34, Andrew Harvey wrote:

    I believe most of this discussion is moot as the *vast* majority of
    railway=stations are mapped as nodes:

I don't think that makes the point moot since nodes are just a quick first pass way to map a station,

railway=station is one of the earliest tags. Given the age of the project, I'm pretty sure we're beyond 'quick first pass'. especially in established countries.

eventually they should all be upgraded to areas.

It appears mappers have decided that's not what's best.

    Tagging objects should be based on the understanding of what the
    general
    consumer of OSM accept it to be, not just a small group of "rail
    enthusiasts" from Germany.

OSM should as much as possible try to remain agnostic towards a specific audience or use, we should strive to both be accurate and usable for both train drivers and public transport passengers.

See landuse=railway, railway=signal & railway=switch

This is not just a matter for rail enthusiasts from Germany.

Indeed.

     >the railway is from the rail network/infrastructure point of
    view and
    public
    transit from the passenger point of view.

    This seems to be a common misunderstanding by those advocating PTv2.

I'm not advocating PTv2, for a long time it just seemed like duplication of tags and a waste but if the ability to separate out the rail infrastructure from passenger viewpoint can be done with the tagging schema then that's maybe one advantage.

railway=station & PTv2 are separate schemas. They don't interact. If there's something missing in one, a tag's meaning can't be amended in the other. This is the misunderstanding.

    No, it's because the public area is what most people consider to be a
    'station'. (& most are mapped as nodes)

 but use a new tag for rail infrastructure so you can still correctly map the station for train drivers.

Why would train drivers, looking at OSM, need to have just a couple of signals enclosed inside a polygon?

DaveF