On 20/10/2020 16.34, Branko Kokanovic wrote:
There are lot of parking lots on amenities (shopping malls...), where
parking is free for customers, but only if you park for less than
some specified time amount (let's say 2-3h), imposed by that amenity.
After that period, you have to pay[1]. It is widespread where I live,
but I would suspect this is not limited to my country only.
FWIW, I believe this is common at many US airports. The first hour (sometimes only 15 minutes) is free, e.g. if you are just dropping someone off or picking someone up.

To cover how this works, in case you didn't had joy of experience to
use this - you usually press machine to get ticket upon entrance (or
human hand it to you) and ramp opens to enter. When you exit, you
present ticket to machine/human and lift gate/ramp opens if you
stayed for less than specified amount of time. It will not open if
time limit (of how long you stayed parked) is reached and in that
case, you have to go back and pay first to some specific place.

Basically the same where I've seen, except the payment kiosk is right next to the gate. Pull up to the gate; if you don't owe money, it opens; if you do, pay at the gate and then it opens.

...although I think I've seen the sort you describe as well. "Pay at the gate" seems typical for airports in my (admittedly limited) experience; the others have been, yeah, city parking garages.

--
Matthew