On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the intention is to indicate the error/accuracy/uncertainty then
> tag/state that. The better GPS devices give indications of this
> error/accuracy/uncertainty.

The big advantage of the dualband is not (only) the increase in accuracy
but the ability to work in not optimal conditions, like under a clif or
other obstacles where you have reflected GPS signals.

To give you an example, my eTrex device reports 3m of precision, the new
GPSMAP 65s reports 1.8m.
But reality is that I saw errors up to 50m with the eTrex. It's also
difficult to know the precision because it changes while moving, and it's
not recorded in the track.

> If possible take tracks of home to/from work and compare them to see how
> much they vary day to day ... they should give an idea of problem.

I bought that new device exactly due the frustration of always seeing a
different recording...

My initial tests are really encouraging. Yesterday I repeated 10 times a
trail under the woods of a hill, comparing the results of the eTrex and
GPSMAP 65s, and the dualband one has the recorded tracks a lot more
consistent. Something like 10m vs 2m thickness.

> imagery may well be better than survey by consumer GPS

I agree. Where an image is available I always use it as reference. But most
of the trails of my local area are under the woods (low mountain) and the
GPS is the only source of information.