I recently wrote a series of diary entries about my experience with the
accuracy of one-device GPS precision. I concluded with a comparison of
three devices I had personal experience with including a new Garmin GPSMAP
66sr which I posted here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/bobwz/diary/394711

In short, multi-band and multi-GNSS devices do offer in an increase in
precision and accuracy and we're seeing this become more common in a
standard smartphone. However, that level of precision is not necessary in
most cases. It is most helpful in areas without good satellite imagery
coverage or where imagery lacks reference points (like in wooded trail
areas, as mentioned). This is compounded by the fact that one GPS device
has a floor to how accurate it can be due to the nature of the system and
interference from the natural landscape, as was mentioned. Furthermore,
mult-band and mult-GNSS chips are becoming more common in smartphones and I
would expect this level of precision available to most mappers without the
need for specialty equipment over the next 5-ish years.

To answer your question about tags, a comment can be added in the source
field of a changeset, but in my opinion most mappers will not dig too deep
into a change to determine how precise the mapper may have been . Satellite
imagery is generally used as the source of truth and if a mapped feature
varies substantially from the imagery, mappers are inclined to move the
feature to match imagery without researching how the feature was initially
created. The good news is that if satellite imagery in unclear or lacks
reference marks, mappers will usually leave features alone unless they have
personal knowledge of an area or are working off a tasking manager.