https://www.torger.se/anders/downloads/Screenshot_2020-12-13-OpenStreetMap.png

"Verifiable" is tricky in terms of names of natural features as we all know, as many of those haven't defined borders. Wetlands maybe so, but even in this case, are the small satellite wetlands part of Rijmmoàhpe or not? Noone knows, it was never defined. That's the way these names work. Does that mean that these type of names should not be in OSM at all? You tell me. I just try to contribute geodata to make maps for outdoor use. If OSM is not the platform, let me know.

I'm not particularly experienced in how OSM use relations and why the are so "obnoxious" as Mateusz put it, but I have worked with arranging data in many projects and to me this is an obvious case of data that should be arranged as a container with all its parts. I also think that it would make it much easier to fix the renderer, it can easily get all parts for the single name, and as a added bonus get to know the "master type" (instead of having to go through all parts calculate the area to figure out which nature that is dominant to get the tag styling right). Etc.

I didn't add it thinking about any renderer though, it was actually for myself to more easily keep track of all parts when editing on JOSM. With a parent relation I just need to click on one, and then on the parent relation to get all selected. Otherwise I need to create a filter on the name or something, so to me it's also more efficient for the mapper.

And in the end I think that the individual parts should not have name tags at all, it should only be on the parent relation. The reason we put it on the individual parts now is to me obviously just because there is no renderer support available anywhere for naming these type of natural entities, and probably will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Having a relation on these new features makes them easy to find in the database and one can upgrade the tags later. I suppose it's much more complicated to make a filter to find parts named the same with shared borders, I don't really know how to do it in JOSM (but maybe one can?).

So that's my reasons, but if you think they're bad I'll remove the relation. I would like to hear how you want to solve the problem instead though. As you see on the screenshot, the current situation is far from optimal with lots of tiny name tags where there should be only one.

/Anders

On 2020-12-14 13:28, Christoph Hormann wrote:
Anders Torger <and...@torger.se> hat am 14.12.2020 07:59 geschrieben:

I'll gladly answer questions, but I think you need to rephrase. I
suppose it is some hidden critique in there, but I honestly do not
understand the question. It would be better for me if you put words on
the critique instead of wrapping it in a question.

There is no critique in there, i have not formed an opinion on the
concept, i like to understand the reasoning behind this.  Hence the
question.

The premise is that in OSM we record verifiable local knowledge about
the geography of the world.  And we try to record that in a form that
is most efficient for the mapper.  Hence the question what additional
verifiable knowledge you intend to record with the additional data
structures you propose to create that is not yet in what we already
record today.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/