> Anders Torger <and...@torger.se> hat am 14.12.2020 14:01 geschrieben:
>

> To make a specific answer to "what additional verifiable local
> knowledge" this relation is intended to cover, is that the wetland is a
> single named entity, not multiple entities named the same.

But i already explained that the fact that in OSM we add name tags to parts of
roads, waterways, wetlands, forests or woods does not mean these are somehow
separate from other features with the same name tags.  Names of physical
geography features in OSM are - as explained - local names.  A polygon tagged
natural=wood + name=foo means that this is an stretch of land covered with
trees that locally is referred to with the name 'foo'.  If you took a walk on a
route that crosses such polygon you can correctly say that today's hike took
you through 'foo'.  However if your walk crossed five natural=wood polygons
with name=foo you *cannot* say based on this that your walk took you through
five 'foo' or through five parts of 'foo'.  The splitting of the wood into five
polygons is part of the data model we use, it does not represent any
'five-ness' is the verifiable reality.

> "Verifiable" is tricky in terms of names of natural features as we all
> know, as many of those haven't defined borders. [...]

I think you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding here.  Name tagging of
physical features like wetlands in OSM have practically no issue with
verifiability because the name tag specifies the name locally used for a
feature that exists independent of the name.

You however seem to be talking about abstract concepts that constitute
themselves through the name and that exist only through the fact that it is
referred to with some name in communication and that are neither tied to
physical geography features that exist independent of humans (like a forest,
lake, wetland etc.) or cultural geography features that constitute themselves
from independently observable human activities (like shops, addresses or bus
stops for example) beyond mere communication.

Such concepts are not mappable in OSM due to the lack of independent
verifiability.  The world of such features does not represent a consistent
independently observable reality.  Human communication as the foundation of
this world is inherently inconsistent and self-contradicting.  You would end up
with a Wikipedia-like paradigm of "reliable sources" and a constant struggle
for cultural dominance and opinion leadership w.r.t. such features in the OSM
database.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/