On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:11 PM François Lacombe <fl.infosrese...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Thank you for your comments
>
> Le lun. 14 déc. 2020 à 00:40, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonew...@gmail.com>
> a écrit :
>
>> 1. The proposal states "It is proposed to discourage the use of
>> undocumented pump:type=* to state pump mechanisms in favour of new
>> pump_mechanism=*."  It is not clear what is meant by "discourage" in this
>> context.  Given the other threads today regarding reservoirs, it is
>> important to communicate clearly what we mean when we propose to stop using
>> a tag.  I would ask that instead of "discourage", that the proposal should
>> explicitly say "deprecate" so that there is no confusion that you intend
>> for us to stop using pump:type and document it as deprecated in the
>> deprecated features list.  Otherwise, I would ask that you clearly and
>> explicitly state what you mean by "discourage" and where those words of
>> discouragement would go.
>>

> To me, discourage means provide a better way to describe features and
> encourage people to do so. Reviewing a proposal and vote approval is a step
> and additional work has to be done in that way.
> I remember a discussion in my early OSM years about sense of "deprecated",
> "discouraged", "approved", "reviewed"... and I'm now merely in favour of
> encouraging and discouraging than enforcing or forbidding
> pump:type isn't documented currently, then how could it be added to any
> deprecated features list?
> The proposal aims to make pump_mechanism approved and then pump:type could
> be added to its wiki page as a possible duplicate.

Thanks for the clarification, however it does not quite resolve the
question.  That there is no such status "discouraged".  There is a page
that documents the possible status values[2] used by wiki templates.  To
directly answer your question, since there is no wiki page for the tag (as
in this case), it would be deprecated simply by adding it to the deprecated
features table with no additional action needed.

The wiki[1] says: "OpenStreetMap does not have 'banned features', as
anybody is allowed and encouraged to use any tag they think is useful."
Therefore, deprecating a feature does not "enforce or forbid" the use of a
tag - all it does is set the tag's status to deprecated on the tag's wiki
page, and adds an entry to the deprecated features[1] page.

If you are not proposing to deprecate the pump:type tag, then I think you
need to explain what you mean by "discourage".  Does that mean you will add
a disclaimer to some other wiki page, with a link to the proposal?  I'm not
sure what benefit that brings over simply deprecating the tag.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Description/doc#Additional_information