Nope, didn't forget about that.

My point was rather that in case the community decides the discussed primary-tag distinction is favourable, it would be the least effort for us is to keep highway=path for the vast majority of ways (12 million) instead of changing them all to highway=easy_path (I don't see any chance this big of a change will find acceptance).

But yes, you're totally right, it will still be a considerable task to re-tag all the 2k via ferratas, 3k climbing routes and ~20k difficult hikes.

Luckily this not quite hundreds of thousands as you feared, but "just" tens of thousands... :-)