Am Fr., 7. Okt. 2022 um 13:46 Uhr schrieb ael <witwa...@disroot.org>:

> Maybe. I guess that if I was starting from scratch, I might have a
> general tag of water_feature and find choose suitable values to describe
> these things.

then I am happy we do not start from scratch :)
There are so many different kind of water features, that would be useless
without additional tags, just like amenity=social_facility, there are
already so many diffferent types of fountains, imagine if this was taken
away and we'd have to start to disambiguate "water feature". And some
fountains aren't about water at all (champagne, chocolate, ...) although
these are really few in comparison, and typically not in the public space.

To me the fact, that the fontana di Trevi in English is called Trevi
fountain, is a strong indice that it isn't completely off to call features
like this a fountain.

Dictionaries also saw "drinking fountains" as kind of fountain, although I
am happy we have 2 different main tags for them.

Generally, I believe we are mostly wasting our time here, if we wanted to
significantly change the tagging for so well established tags, the least I
would expect is a proposal that explains the problems and has a solution
that is better what we have, in all the dimensions. I am only contributing
because these are my pet features :)

Cheers,
Martin