On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 09:52:46AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 8 Oct 2022, at 07:55, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Example Tom Bass Wall Fountain, Sydney, Australia 1963. Nicknamed "The
> > Urinal" for obvious reasons!
>

> according to a british mapper, this is not a fountain but a water feature 🤷‍♂️

Yep. Definitely not a fountain. As for what it is, some sort of
artistic installation. And water feature doesn't seem a bad description
among others for want of a better term.

But I was just trying to feed in that calling these things fountains is
not natural in everyday British English. Feel free to ignore.
The one term which is natural, drinking_fountain, I gather at least
one person wants to deprecate.

But I have not followed this thread closely. It just seemed to me that
there is a strong drift away from British usage, and I just wanted
people to be aware of that. No more.

People from more arid climates have a much richer set of objects to map
and so I guess a richer vocabulary and are in a much better position to
invent extended tagging.

I really don't feel able to comment much further....

ael