On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 03:01:57PM -0700, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> > But I was just trying to feed in that calling these things fountains is
> > not natural in everyday British English. Feel free to ignore.
> > The one term which is natural, drinking_fountain, I gather at least
> > one person wants to deprecate.
>
> Interesting, I wonder if British English might sometimes use the term
> "fountain" more loosely, even if it has a stricter formal meaning. Here in
> the U.S., upward motion is certainly characteristic of fountains, but
> artists have a tendency to bend the rules. My favorites are the ones that
> look like waterfalls:

I am sure that there are examples. And I would not find it odd to call
some of those posted as fountains in that there is some upward motion,
and in at least one case an upward jet.

But that was only my off-the-cuff definition in trying to isolate the
main aspect of what I perceive to be common usage. I keep saying that
I am not an expert.

ael