Looking at some of the "inland" examples shown on OT, I wonder if they
should actually be tagged as a "lifeboat-station" at all, or whether they
would be better shown as a lifeguard base?

Examples, with some websites included:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/299123258 +
https://www.wasserwacht-woerthsee.de/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9151311469 + https://www.slrgo.ch/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9957154743

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/965027465

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/66850852

Some fire stations, that possibly also carry out on-water rescues? Should
they also be tagged as "water" rescue, or just as a fire station?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/629239460

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/931856197

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/87339014

In regard of use of boats for rescue purposes,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflatable_rescue_boat &
https://sls.com.au/role/jet-rescue-boat-crew/ both relate to rescue boats
that are primarily used by lifeguards for rescuing swimmers in distress.
The fact that they have a boat, does not make them a marine-rescue unit, as
they are intended for work close to the beach only, not in blue water.

Thanks

Graeme