If it is indeed better (which I personally am not convinced), then why not
change the proposal to ask that, in addition to the tagging mailing list,
proposal might (or should?) be announced at *as many contact channels as
possible* of those listed athttps://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contact_channels
(and the proponents should monitor all of them where they posted, and
incorporete
ideas from then on wiki proposal page).

I'm talking about not cutting out people who use the *official* community channel rather than the mailing list; the forums are the first resource mentioned on the list you linked.

Since the mailing list has been the place where proposals where announced until now, it makes sense to keep announcing them there for the people using it.

I'm not saying that we should announce proposals on every communication channel people may come up with; I was talking about the mailing list since it's been used for this until now and the forum, since it's the official discussion platform.

We should work toward*reducing*  that fragmentation, not encouraging
increasing it.
In my opinion, moving everything to the forum is the best way to reduce fragmentation. I frankly don't see any great advantage offered by the mailing list that is greater than the ease of use of the forum for people who are not technologically competent. You have some disadvantages with the forum, but I think its inclusiveness is the most important factor to consider.

I work on a computer all day, writing software for quantum and statistical computations; thus using an email client which supports threading to partecipate to a mailing list is no problem to me, but it can be for many others.

I think this proposal, if it passes, will move more people towards the forums and I think that the mailing list will gradually be abandoned; this will reduce fragmentation.

I think this will happen because I believe that many more people will subscribe to the forum than to the mailing list, people that weren't previously using the mailing list, and thus I believe that most of the discussion will automatically move to the forum because most of the people discussing about things will be there.

I may be wrong with this; but on the forum you can already find a bunch of people that aren't here and that take part in tagging discussions from time to time, I believe this is a good indicator that what I'm forecasting could realistically happen.