Hi,

I could swear I had written this as a public message long ago but I cannot find it now. Sorry, then, for the last-minute interruption. I had an issue with the proposal, namely the wording:

"This key can be used on every observable feature that has a historical meaning, regardless of ... interest to the OSM community."

This is asking for trouble. There is a delicate balance in OSM - you can map what you want and you don't have to ask permission, but there are limits. If you were to start mapping, say, individual flowers, then a discussion would arise and it is quite possible that the community decides that this is going too far and you will be asked to stop.

The same can happen with features that have a historical meaning. The OSM community needs to at least have sufficient interest to let you do your thing. Explicitly putting here, in writing, that the OSM community may not interefere in someone's mapping of historic features would be a first, and I can already see the discussions down the line where someone goes over the top, another person complains, and the first person then says "BUT THE WIKI SAYS I CAN DO IT!!!!"

I'm sure this is not the intention of this proposal - in fact I am unsure what the intention of "... regardless of interest to the OSM community" is. I think that bullet point should simply be dropped, as it is either stating the obvious (map what you want) or inciting trouble (ignore it when people complain).

Bye
Frederik