On Feb 16, 2023, at 10:50 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:
> Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> writes:
>> In which case the OSM meaning of 'wetland' must change to incorporate dry as
>> well as wet.
>
> We need to adopt the professional definitions, not rewrite them roughly
> and not really correctly.  Not sure which you are in favor of.

Repeating myself from an earlier post:  "this list (topic, thread) benefits
from the (especially modern) perspective of geologists, hydrologists or other
landuse experts who could offer some perspective on how land and water areas
are classified."  (How climate change has, does and will affect this is an
important angle not to be ignored).  Simply stated, "dry swamps" seem to be an
edge we (OSM) can't get a clear handle on.  It's not a major problem and it is
one we can overcome.

Nearly all of the time, (for streets, crosswalks, bridleways, gift shops,
viewpoints, fuel stations...) we OSM mappers do a fine job of classifying thing
into tags (key-value pairs) with little or no ambiguity.  For "dry swamps," and
what both OSM mappers and the world in general might mean by that remains an
open question, with barely a modicum of understanding so far.  (Says this
participant in the discussion).

As Greg says, OSM deserves "really correct" (not "rough") definitions.  Some of
the time, OSM can get away with a bit of smearing or blurring of definitions.
In the case of "dry swamps," no.  While words about them have been written
here, my take-away from these discussions results in more confusion rather than
more clarity, and I doubt I am alone in that regard.

I'd like us to effectively re-start this discussion with some "qualified
experts" on the topic of dry swamps.  I put that in quotes because we might
still argue whether someone is or isn't qualified or an expert, but so far, we
don't seem like we will gain much traction without someone very well-versed on
the topic.  So, "putting out the call..." here and now.

BTW, it's OK that we say we might or should do this.  I'm not saying we're
"wrong" or "deficient" for asking for some expert help — it's done all the time
in many circles (companies, governments, organizations, groups of friends,
families...).