On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:08:17 +1100, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/2/23 12:13, Matija Nalis wrote:
>> I see few options. If it happens more regularly, map as:
>>
>> - If it happens more regularly, map as: natural=wetland + intermittent=yes
>> - if they very rarely (if ever) become waterlogged, mark them whatever they
>> are currently (or most of the time).
>> - see what other similar features in the region use, and copy/paste that.
>

> In one part I have previously tagged one of them, thinking it was a rare
> thing I used a square peg in a round hole... but 4,000 of them in one

So, were any of that 4000 tagged in OSM, and if so, how?

> state of Australia, with more of them in other parts of Australia and
> yet more in other parts of the world I think that means there should be
> suitable tags for them not some stop gap tagging.

In OSM, things get mapped when someone care about them.
It is quite possible nobody cared enough about the distiction between "dry
swamp" and
for example "natural=wetland" + "intemittent=yes" to map that differetly.

If you do care about those for whatever reason (most often people map things
because they already have or at least envision an usecase of using that data),
I'd suggest proposing the solution you would prefer.
Instructions on doing so, if you are interested, can be found here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.