Matija Nalis:

IMHO basically the main reason why multi-tag standard (e.g. fuel:octane_98=yes,
fuel:diesel=yes, fuel:lpg=no) was invented is precisely because in
multi-value system it would have been impossible to mark the difference
between "this fuel is not present" and "it is unknown/unsurveyed if this fuel
is present here", i.e. it would make a pressure on mapper to either:
- invest a lot of time to map EVERYTHING, or
- better map NOTHING if they didn't have that time (in order not to create more
   confusion / false data)

e.g. if "fuel=octane_98;diesel" was tagged, it would be ambiguous - does
it mean that there there is no LPG, or that the mapper didn't care to survey
that separated area of fuel station where LPG is being held?

I do not believe that is how most of us are using it.

For example if you use the template for restaurants and fast_food (but not cafes for some reason) in JOSM, you get a combobox where you can select one or more values for "cuisine". I would not assume that if I select indian or sushi that it excludes asian.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen