maxwidth is a legal limitation, typically signposted.

width is used on barriers as physical width of the passage.

maxwidth:physical is sometimes used to indicate the same concept on roads.

width is used to indicate the physical width of the carriageway. It is
typically used to indicate that a vehicle with that width is likely to pass
the entire length of the way.

I am sceptical about the idea of trying to tag the very specific and rare
case that the width of a carriageway changes linearly from width1 at the
beginning of the way to width2 at the end of the way. What is realistic is
that roads have irregular shapes, typically in the context of historic
towns. In those case it may make sense to model the carriageway with
area:highway=* .