On 17/10/23 04:17, Paul Johnson wrote:
Presently, it's common for route relations to have names that violate "name is only the name" and "name is not ref" and "name is not description" rules for name=* tags.

I don't find it common in 'my area' of mapping. One or two examples would demonstrate the situation?

In any case:

The name tag is used on may things for example; buildings, parks, schools, highways ...

The use of the name tag as 'name only' applies where ever the name tag is used. This is similar for other tags such as elevation, width, colour etc. No matter what feature they are used on the tags carry the same characteristics and restrictions. It is not necessary to repeat these characteristics and restrictions for every main feature.