On 17/10/23 23:22, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 4:51 AM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On 17/10/23 04:17, Paul Johnson wrote:
    Presently, it's common for route relations to have names that
    violate "name is only the name" and "name is not ref" and "name
    is not description" rules for name=* tags.

    I don't find it common in 'my area' of mapping. One or two
    examples would demonstrate the situation?

    In any case:

    The name tag is used on may things for example; buildings, parks,
    schools, highways ...

    The use of the name tag as 'name only' applies where ever the name
    tag is used. This is similar for other tags such as elevation,
    width, colour etc. No matter what feature they are used on the
    tags carry the same characteristics and restrictions. It is not
    necessary to repeat these characteristics and restrictions for
    every main feature.

Routes have names, too!  For example, here's the relation for OK 51, named for the name of the route. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3108562

Meanwhile, I 40 in Arkansas has a good example of a name that is actually a ref and a description, not a name. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6843700

 Finally, OK 19 is an example of a properly described no-name route. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7479405

Ok. I still don't see a necessity of repeating the name tag information inside the relation tag... Will you also repeat the ref tag information, the description tag information? How about the surface tag, maxspeed tag etc etc..

In some cases where I have come across it I have simply stated 'The name tag is for the name only. See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Name_is_the_name_only' and I follow it up by making the correction/s. Don't think I have ever had an argument about it.

The https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/331438 use of the name tag goes back 14 years ago ... to a mapper who was only just starting out.. The ref tag came along some 3 years later... You may find similar historical sources for the use of the name tag...