I also think that such changes also imply corrections to the following
section regarding how importance is to be assessed by mappers:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#Assumptions

Particularly this sentence:

"In a region with poor infrastructure, a road of highest importance,
forming the main road network there, should be highway=trunk,
regardless of being a high-quality wide asphalt road or a low-quality
narrow track worse than highway=service in other regions."

The consensus here seems not aligned with this. This section also
references the following proposal:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Highway_key_voting_importance

Whose summary says:

"the general definition of highway=* should be changed to importance
for the road grid (hierarchical position in the interconnecting
network) instead of physical attributes"

What is missing is a statement about whether one starts judging such
networks by importance from the top (trunk downwards) or from the
bottom (tertiary upwards).

--
Fernando Trebien