On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 9:01 PM Fernando Trebien <fernando.treb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "a road of highest importance, forming the main road network there,
> should be highway=trunk" [1]
> "highway=trunk: The most important roads in a country's system that
> aren't motorways." [2]
>
> The comments here suggest that for a rural settlement to be a trunk it
> needs to connect two large settlements

No, just two settlements that are the most important in the area.

In other words, if the British planners were deciding where to place the
green-signed "A" roads in Antarctica, those are the roads that should be
trunk.

I will note my usual example of the British "A9" road in northern Scotland
which is a narrow, two-lane road without even so much as a bit of paint to
separate the two lanes of opposing traffic.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vohyngVPjBhUVsZLA

Taking Scotland down a notch to Antarctica, the most significant ice road
may well meet the test of "the most important roads that aren't motorways".