On 26/4/24 03:40, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

Apr 25, 2024, 16:16 by fernando.treb...@gmail.com:

    I also think that such changes also imply corrections to the following
    section regarding how importance is to be assessed by mappers:

    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#Assumptions

    Particularly this sentence:

    "In a region with poor infrastructure, a road of highest importance,
    forming the main road network there, should be highway=trunk,
    regardless of being a high-quality wide asphalt road or a low-quality
    narrow track worse than highway=service in other regions."

    The consensus here seems not aligned with this. This section also
    references the following proposal:

    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Highway_key_voting_importance

    Whose summary says:

    "the general definition of highway=* should be changed to importance
    for the road grid (hierarchical position in the interconnecting
    network) instead of physical attributes"

    What is missing is a statement about whether one starts judging such
    networks by importance from the top (trunk downwards) or from the
    bottom (tertiary upwards).

Antarctica has no real road network so missing top levels of road classes
is fine.

It is also missing roads between major large cities because it has no
major large cities.

If very big island has no roads at all except single small road between
two houses it does not mean it is highway=trunk road.

A can of worms...

Many of the hiking routes I have looked at use beach sections over sand. There is no visible 'path' yet the 'path' exists, not always in the same place people tend to take whatever route they like - away from the water or getting their toes wet. I have tagged these sections as not visible and made them as straight as possible to imply that it is a 'route' rather than a formed track.

Towns and villages also have an 'importance' level too... a place can be of more 'importance' that another place despite having the same population. The importance could be gained by having better medical facilities, better airport etc.

These kind of discussions have been had in Australia and I would think Africa, Russia ...

Please consider your own experience with less dense areas before condemning some flexibility in adapting things to suit other parts of the world?