The latest release of Coldfusion runs either as a standalone environment
(JRUN) or can be deployed on *any* J2EE application server. (IBM and other
vendors will be bundling CF with their high end app servers)

Is it scalable? Well, it inherits the J2EE platform so I believe that's
settled.

This product, codenamed NEO can also run JSP pages and servlets. In a
nutshell it's a J2EE application that offers the developer a ton of
pre-built services and components to use off the shelf as well as giving
them the power to drop down to Java if any heavier lifting is required.

Your templates are compiled at runtime (or precompiled) into java byte code
as well so you can expect excellent performance. Sure you may see a slight
overhead but that's to be expected giving that there's stuff like automatic
data typing and what not.

Did I also mention you can use any of the Jakarta tag libraries as well
within your JSP or CFM pages?

Course, the hundreds of pre-built tags and components built-in will do the
job for most. The original JSP tag/markup was sparked by the creators of
JRun (which Macromedia now owns)...so they've got some solid experience in
the area.

For the rest, you'll have to see the product launch...Damn those pesky
NDA's! ;-)

Why use Coldfusion?

Time to market
Shorter learning curve
Increased productivity

Why limit your options? CF and Java, best of both worlds. Use both, I do.

Have a great day all,

Stace