On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Michael Duffy wrote:

> The fact that you needed the JARs in the WEB-INF/lib
> comes as no surprise - after all, they do tell you to
> put them there in the on-line docs under "Using a
> Custom Tag Library in Your Application".

I could see that this should be required for _custom_ tag
libraries, but the JSTL is the _standard_ tag library, the
difference being analogous to having STL header files
sitting under /usr/include and other custom header
file sitting in the project's directory in C++.

> But you don't need to copy the TLDs.  They're already
> inside the standard.jar.

Thanks. Still, what I would have expected is some place
where the location of the standard tag libraries can be
specified, or, even better, if these came bundled with
Tomcat in the first place then it would be obvious from
the $CATALINA_HOME environment variable where these were.

But thank you, it seems things work just fine even without
copying the .tld files to the WEB-INF directory so long as
the .jar files are copied to the WEB-INF/lib directory.

> There have been several threads discussing that fact.
> Shawn Bayern gave a great explanation of why on this
> list a while back.  You might want to find it and read
> it. - MOD

Indeed, it makes things easier for the user to just
download the stuff all bundled together and run it.
So how come C++ programs don't bundle the entire
STL with them? ;-)

Neil