In my web.xml i have been using this code, make sure you have the <taglib>
under your <webapp> tag and not accidentally inside another one.

<webapp>
<taglib>
<taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/core</taglib-uri>
<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/c.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>
</webapp>

On the JSP pages i use

<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>
This should work for you.
If not can you show us the jsp code?
Are you using a JSP 1.2 container? Tomcat should work if you have the
lastest version.
Heres a nice guide on how to set up jstl on tomcat.
http://www.developer.com/java/ejb/article.php/1447551