only marginally relevant to this thread, I recently read arguments against using Singletons in web apps:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory

Luca

Tarek Nabil wrote:

Thanks a lot Kris for the explanation.

Actually, I'm starting to feel that moving to JSTL 1.0 was not such a
wise move. There are a lot of things that I used to be able to do with
the Struts tag libraries that I can not do with JSTL. One of them is the
example I mentioned. Currently, the only work around for me is to do
this

<%
Config config = Config.getIntance();
%>

And then use config in later EL expressions. This is exactly what I
don't want to do, but unfortunately, it seems there's no other way
around it.

I'm starting to feel that JSTL has some severe limitations. Even with
1.1, I ran before into the problem of not being able to use constants.
Someone on this list kindly suggested the non standard tag library, but
the way it works (I guess) is that it uses reflection to expose those
static fields as properties, which is a very artificial solution. I
mean, why isn't this supported by default? I believe this is a question
for the JSR experts to answer.