From: Luca Passani [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 4:57 PM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: <c:set> and runtime expressions

only marginally relevant to this thread, I recently read arguments
against using Singletons in web apps:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory

Luca

Tarek Nabil wrote:

>Thanks a lot Kris for the explanation.
>
>Actually, I'm starting to feel that moving to JSTL 1.0 was not such a
>wise move. There are a lot of things that I used to be able to do with
>the Struts tag libraries that I can not do with JSTL. One of them is
>the example I mentioned. Currently, the only work around for me is to
>do this
>
><%
>Config config = Config.getIntance();
>%>
>
>And then use config in later EL expressions. This is exactly what I
>don't want to do, but unfortunately, it seems there's no other way
>around it.
>
>I'm starting to feel that JSTL has some severe limitations. Even with
>1.1, I ran before into the problem of not being able to use constants.
>Someone on this list kindly suggested the non standard tag library, but

>the way it works (I guess) is that it uses reflection to expose those
>static fields as properties, which is a very artificial solution. I
>mean, why isn't this supported by default? I believe this is a question

>for the JSR experts to answer.

********************************************DISCLAIMER********************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain
privileged or copyright
information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or use this email
or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us of
the receipt thereof.
immediately, and delete this
email from your system.

Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.The sender shall not be
liable for the improper
or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this
communication,nor for any delay in
its receipt or damage to your system.The sender does not guarantee that this
material is free from
viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimise the
risk.